Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Music of Life



I sit slowly at the old piano of my childhood. The bench creaks and I blow dust off the keys. It is just how I remembered it, sheet music still sits where it did so many years ago. I gently place my fingers on the keys. The keys under my fingers feel safe, like I have found my refuge. The song starts and the song I know by heart comes flooding back to me after all this time. The intervals and melodies swirl around me and I feel goose bumps running down my arm in time to the music. The old piano still carries the sound that I know so well. The first ending is played and I feel tears dancing down my face. As the music becomes soft I see visions of my life play through my head and as it swells so does my heart. The song finishes with a beautiful octave and I sit staring at the ivory keys. I sit until the music has long faded into the air and is only just a memory. I suddenly hear a slow clapping from behind me. I turn around slowly, and there you are smiling with tears in your eyes. If only this moment could last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment