Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hearts

He approaches slowly with a determination in his step and a hardened look on his face
He stops only short of where I am and looks into my eyes
His eyes are midnight black, they are frightening but yet I can't look away
His hand extends slowly reaching out toward me like a beggar looking for a coin
I know what he has come for and I can't stop him from taking it
He keeps reaching until he touches me, ever so slightly but yet I feel the electric sting behind it
He grabs my heart and with a sudden ease, he takes it
I look down and see an empty hole where once sat the very thing that made me love him
He holds my heart out in front of me and chuckles, a chuckle that says he has won the battle for my heart
A tear slips from my eye as he pulls out an old jar from his pocket
I begin to tremble as he begins to unscrew the rusted tin lid, for I know what will happen now
The jar contains hearts, not just mine but many more from those he has played the same trick on
He looks at me again with he mysterious black eyes and places my heart among the many
I am not the first victim nor will I be the last of his cruel game
He turns and I watch him walk a way with a hole in my chest, as he adds one more to his collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment