Wednesday, May 25, 2011

So this is what devastation looks like.

Sunday night a tornado went right through the heart of Joplin, Missouri. Joplin is around of Springfield. We watched in horror as the news reporter's showed the ruins of what was once people's homes, cars and businesses. Monday rolled around and more graphic images filled our TV set as we sat glued to our seats. I felt like I needed to help. God kept nudging at my heart to do something, to help my fellow Missourians. I prayed all day that the Lord would show me what I needed to do. By the end of the day I felt like I had to go to Joplin itself. I contacted a group going and was there bright and early Tuesday morning.
We got to College Heights Christian Church ready to help out however we could, not expecting to be sent out into the devastation. Even though we were not ready to go, we found it within ourselves to do whatever was needed. We were sent out to 26th street and this is what we faced:

 It looked as if bombs had been dropped. Nothing was left standing.Houses were gone. Everything that once was a thriving community now only resembled the shadow of what was.
The people were shell shocked. No one knew what to do and many just stared at what once was their home. One man we helped was shaking and couldn't even complete sentences. Through it all God's name was glorified for the lives that had not been lost. There was hope even among the devastation. Some of the people in our group found an American Flag in some of the rubble and decided that she deserved better and the hung her by a 2x4. It was beautiful to see that even among the mess, we are still Americans united under the one true God and no matter what the situation is we will stand together through it all.
It hit me as soon as I stepped in the door of my house that I am so blessed to still have a place to call home. A front door still welcomes me into a home where the roof is still intact and glass still in the windows. I still have clothes to wear and everyone in my family is still alive. For so many in Joplin, they have lost everything and everyone. Please pray for the community of Joplin as they continue to pick up the pieces of their lives. Pray that the love of Christ will be shown and God will be glorified through it all.

In Christ alone,
Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment