Friday, August 12, 2011

The simple things

The simple things are those that the heart aches for the most. My heart aches for those simple things that are 2000 miles out of grasp. My heart sobs for the smiles of children who have nothing and have taught me how to be content. My heart longs for the rain that comes tumbling over the mountains without remorse and quenches the earth with force echoed by thunder. My heart cries for the radio call beckoning us to gather to hear of the world still spinning. My heart throbs for the beauty of the clouds lazy floating along the river of the sky with out care. My heart screams for the contrast of red wood against the landscape of the Acacia trees and the screen door slamming as a blond headed girl ran free. My heart trembles for the sounds of wild animals that many only dream about hearing but are the lullabies of my childhood. My heart reaches for the touches on my head that my elders gave thousands of times and the blessings they blessed me with. My heart searches for the smell and the warmth of the sun lingering on the linens. My heart wanders for the wary travelers that graced our doorstep in search of a cup of cool crisp water. My heart quiets for the times when goodbyes were said and tears fell onto the dusty red earth as the roar of an engine signified the end had finally come. My heart aches for the simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment