Tuesday, June 18, 2013

It's the little things that mean the most!

This week God has been teaching me just how much the little things mean! This week so far has already been filled with so many of those little things!

Yesterday, I walked into Mata Coffee (the coffee shop on my language route) and the lady who works there ran up to me and gave me a big hug. I have yet to see Thai people hug anyone. Their culture is one of respect as they bow to one another and have other cultural signs of respect but they are not a huge physical touch culture. If you know me, I hug everyone... and then I hug everyone again. Hugs keep me going. In the two weeks I have been here, I haven't gotten hugs...until yesterday. It brought me to tears how that one simple act meant so much and how it solidified our friendship!

Another beautiful yet so simplistic gesture came from another Thai lady. We (Tosha and I) were walking to catch a songtao (public transportation) after class when we walked upon a old lady selling lottery tickets, on the side of the road,. We greeted her and asked her how she was when she pulled out a papaya. She started peeling it and offered Tosha and I half of it. This was her lunch and she was offering two strangers half of it. We graciously accepted her generous gift and talked with her a bit more. (As much as our limited Thai would let us!) The next day we walked to where she had been selling lottery tickets and she wasn't there. Her stand and everything was gone. She was like an angel that God sent to us when we needed to be loved on. I don't think I have ever tasted a papaya so sweet.

All my love,
Ang

2 comments:

  1. I totally read this in your voice. :)
    This is so great! I loved seeing your lovely face in your vlog! Keep doing those!
    I am so happy to hear you are making some really good friendships over there -- keep it up!!
    I am praying for you!!!
    ♥ Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla!!!
    You are so sweet!!! Thank you for your support in keeping up with me! It means the world!!!! I am totally blessed by you!!!!!

    Praying for you too girlie!!!
    <3
    Angela

    ReplyDelete