Tuesday, June 25, 2013

There is something about a child's smile

There is something about the way a child smiles that illuminates the light within our souls. I have learned it is impossible not to smile back.


It is impossible not to smile back, because of the richest and pure smiles that they freely offer, even when they are standing in mud which they call their living room.

Tonight, I was overwhelmed with pain as I looked at the house that so many orphans, children at risk and abandoned children call home. Their home consists of three rooms that are no more than concrete, bamboo and a tin roof. I couldn't help but cry out to God. "Why God?" I live in a palace compared to the two rooms they have. 18 boys sleep in a room smaller than my dorm room.

In spite of my anger at God and in spite of the pain that was bleeding in my heart, I couldn't help but smile back.

As I sat stewing, an angel dressed in rags came up to me and smiled. Her eyes were as dark as the night and her smile seeming to never end. She giggled as she waited for me to pick her up and hold her.

As I sat with my angel in my arms, she wrapped my arms around her and made sure I didn't let go. Every time she turned and looked up at me, it was as if she knew that her presence was healing.

Her smile reached down into my soul and touched the place only her smile could.

Even though we stayed for what seemed like mere minutes, I fell in love with this beautiful child. I know God loves her beyond measure. He did not make a mistake when he created her or her incredible smiles.

There is something about a child's smile.

Something that can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment