Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Night in the 423

Friday Night in the 423 may consist of many different things but tonight for me is a quiet night in my dorm room sitting and doing what I love best thinking and watching COPS. Tonight I am thinking once again about Kenya, but not just Kenya but about one person particularity. I am thinking about someone who is near and dear to my heart.My sister Toyie. I miss her so very very much. She has been there with me through thick and thin. I would like to tell you about how Toyie and I met and the story of us becoming closer than sisters.

I was about three years old and mom and I were walking home on the long and dusty road home from the villages.  I remember that there were a couple little girls from the village that were playing along the road. Mom knew who their parents were and invited them over to our house that following Friday night to spend the night. Every Friday and Saturday night from then on as long as I remember Toyie and Linti spent the night.

When were about 7 when Linti got the opportunity to go to a boarding school about an hour away from Olkoroi where we lived. Toyie still came over every weekend like always and we continued to play and have fun. We grew really really close and always talked about everything.

Some of my most fond moments were spend with Toyie. When were little we used to play house in the yard and cook "food" out of mud and grass. Every Saturday morning we would get up as early as we could and cook breakfast for mom and dad. Our favorite thing on a rainy afternoon was to watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. We would watch it over and over again and then we would sing the songs and try to do the dances.

Even now that we are older and have stayed close and when we get to see each other we can talk all day. Once when my dad when to Kenya by himself he visited her. Toyie asked dad if anything was wrong with me because she had this feeling in her heart that something was wrong with me. At that time I was going through a bout with an amoeba. We have such a close bond and I teared up when I heard this story.

I love my sister very much and I miss her!!!!

Here are some pictures of Toyie and I:




One of the things about Toyie and I is that we are crazy girls! Hence the fact that we are sitting in a pot!!!

I love my sister!!! This picture was taken in 2009.


 We love to cook traditional Kenyan food. When we were little we wanted to cook as much as we could but the mess we left behind was enormous!

One afternoon Toyie and I were sitting on the bed talking and we fell asleep. Dad came into get us for dinner and we were so tired that we didn't hear him and he took this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ange i love this!
    The last picture just made me all teary eyed. What a beautiful thing you're a part of

    ReplyDelete